Monday, May 31, 2010

Crazy or What?

Most people I know will probably think I have gone crazy, but I assure you I have not.

Here's the big news: We are going to try cloth nappies (diapers) with the new baby!!!! The reaction I get from people is quite interesting. I think it is the right thing to do though. Dave has just now gotten out of nappies, and I am determined that I am not going back to buying disposable nappies again for this new baby. Maybe it is the timing of it all. I dont know, but I know it will save us a lot of money. I feel like I have been cleaning up pooh and wee for the past 4 years-so that aspect of cloth nappies really doesnt phase me. With 2 very active little boys, I do washing everyday anyways...I really dont see it as a big deal at all!

So I bought some old style cloth terry squares and covers, and thanks to my friend Lis, I bought some of the modern cloth nappies to try as well. Overall, I am still saving so much by not buying disposables. It is nice to try something new too.



Today, Shane's Mum and Dad taught me how to fold nappies, etc. It was funny to see his Dad get into it too. It was fun. We practiced on one of the dolls my mom made me....and then we practiced on Dave (such a good sport)! Stay tuned....I will let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Man, making your own bread, using cloth nappies. Who are you? HAHA!! just kidding. I've looked at those all in ones before. They look nice. good luck on your venture you crazy pioneer woman!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you! Both our 'big ones' were clothy babies and we've just bought a new batch of coloured ones for number 3. One tip, though, buy the 'snappi nappies' instead of trying to do the pins. Pins are AWFUL in the middle of the night! Before you know it, you'll be able to do it one handed like me (and Jase!). There are heaps of different folds, too - so those nappies will fit on teeny baby boy bottoms all the way to big toddler girl bottoms! If you want any help, let me know! I'm having trouble finding covers/pilchers - where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam...I got some pilchers at Big W and then some at Kmart. My friend has bought some from Pepper Place. Their website is http://www.pepperplace.com.au/ and they are on facebook too. She reckons the covers are great-she only owns a few and they last all day. I will see how I go and then maybe get me a couple (they are really cute). How are you going? I feel so miserable. My lower back is killing me and the sides of my legs are aching! The doctor said the baby is ready to come but nothing is happening here yet. Really-I have a couple of weeks to go, but I wish the baby would come early. I hope your bub decides to come soon. Keep us all informed. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marlana, I am one of Shane's classmates. My wife, Rebecca, and I used regular diapers and ones that were made in an "hourglass" shape. The second type worked very well and were easier to put on. Plus, you may want to rethink the pins as they can unhook and stick the baby. God Bless!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete