It is 3pm here, and we have both completed 5 hours of language with our teacher. I get up at 5:30 to do my quiet time....so it's been a long day already. This is the norm now for us. Praise the Lord for the opportunity to put Dave in Kidsland and Noah into the International School. Now, I can really be devoted to language.
The past few weeks, I have tried language learning with 3 kids, language learning with only 2 of the kids, and language learning with 1 child. It's tough. That is why we made the decision to put both of the boys into school. It is working well. They love it, so that makes the decision so much easier on us all. A friend of ours watches Maggie at the house while we are studying in the morning.
We are using a method developed by a well known linguistics institute. I bet if you think real hard you will know what I am talking about. We are using this method because we will be able to use it later on when we learn the language of the people that we are going to be living amongst long term. We will learn our country language first, then the people's language...and then if it is the Lord's will, I will have a chance to be involved in developing writing materials for the people.
It is a real interesting method, and I find it to be more natural. We arent doing the learning in a classroom or with books. There are more pictures and lots of listening. We are really really enjoying it. It makes so much more sense, and the stress of memorization is not a burden for us. Things are just coming along so much more naturally.
Our teacher comes to our home as well which works out really well for us with the kids. This morning, we took both boys to school at 7:30am, then we studied at home with our teacher from 8am-10:30am. We picked Dave up at 11am. Dave and Maggie both have a nap from 12:30-2:30, and that is when we study with our teacher for the second time. At 2:30pm, we pick Noah up from school. Eventually, the kids will be tutored in the afternoon (with our teacher), but we are just trying to get our language under control first. It is busy, but our plan is to not do too much work at night so that we can rest and relax each evening as a family. Shane and I need to start exercising too!!!!
Well...that is really as much info as I can give you about the language learning method, etc. My mind is pretty tired!!!! I have some videos I can post later. We record lots of information both with a recorder and with video, and that is how we study. Fantastic.
I must run. Noah will be home from school soon, and I cant wait to hear about his day. Keep the prayers coming!
Monday, September 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment