Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Getting Better

Well, this week has been so crazy for us. Trying to get back into language, while Maggie has been so sick has been difficult! On Monday, I had been up since midnight, and I still went to class from 1-5. I honestly dont know how I did it! Shane was the same, he still went to school from 8-12 in the morning. We are both really close to having our exams so we dont want to miss any school days.

Maggie had it rough there for awhile, but I really think that she is starting to get better. After going to the hospital to see the doctor, she started to improve with the medicine they gave her. Here, medicine is done so differently. Our pharmacy delivers, so we just ring up and order any medicine we want (all in the local language)! This includes antibiotics. We do not need prescriptions here. The pharmacist does not mix the medicine here. I have had this happen with some antibiotics before, but I did not realize this was the case with the medicine Maggie was given. So, Shane comes home with medicine from the hospital, and he has about 30 little packets of powder and a bottle of red syrup. I assume the syrup is an antihistamine and that the powder is panadol.

Well, the powder tasted real bitter (like panadol) and Maggie wouldnt take it at all. The syrup she took fine. Well, come to find out. The syrup is just sugar water, and the powder has to be mixed in with the syrup each time she has medicine. So for about a day, Maggie was just taking sugar water!!!! HA! Then once, I mixed the powder and syrup, Maggie started spitting her medicine out at me! Now, I put loads of chocolate in her milk and add the powder that way. I am not using the syrup because she has wised up to the fact that the powder is in it!! The medicine has helped inside her mouth and throat and she is not eating and drinking like normal.

Early on, I was also using calamine lotion, but the doctor at the hospital gave us calamine powder. What a lifesaver that has been! It has literally dried out her blisters, and she has not really gotten many more. She only had a few on her face. Her legs have been the worst, and the powder has helped so much. I havent even noticed her scratching. She is back to sleeping good at night, although it takes her several hours to go to sleep, but once she is asleep, she stays that way. Praise the Lord.

So many people have been praying for her. We have just been so amazed at the emails and the messages you all have sent us. Thanks so much. She really is doing better, and I am hoping by the end of next week, she is able to go out, etc. I dont want her to go out at the moment because so many people try to touch her, and I dont want them getting sick, but I also dont want people putting their dirty hands on her sores either.

Also, since Maggie has been sick. She has been incredibly naughty. I have never seen her act this way before. It is like the terrible twos and the sickness have all come at once. On Monday, she climbed the table and emptied out our fish bowl. She put everything in the toilet....rocks, plants, bridge, etc. I dont know how she did it! I was only out of eyesight for a few minutes. That is just one example of many!!!!

Well, here are some photos of Maggie since she has been sick. You can tell she is started to get better in the last photo. She is starting to act her normal self again (except for being naughty). She loves Minnie Mouse and wont go many places with out it. She has 2 Minnie Mouse shirts and that is all she wants to wear! GIRLS!



No comments:

Post a Comment