Well, today didnt go so well with Dave. I really dont want to go into too many details except to say that he is just really struggling with culture stress. He did much better with the teacher at the park, but then there were other issues with people trying to take photos of the kids, etc. They just sent little Dave over the edge. So after talking with Shane, we just feel it is best if Dave stops his language time. Noah is going to continue, and we may increase his time to 2 hours a week instead of only an hour.
I feel like we just need to keep looking for what suits Dave best. I've never seen culture stress like this before in a child. We have a few friends with kids around his age, and they are struggling as well. We really think Dave's age has a lot to do with it along with his personality. It is pretty obvious after today that the local way of learning doesnt really fit Dave either. It does, however, fit Noah perfectly. That is great for Noah, and I am really happy for him.
So back to the drawing board we go. I would be lying if I told you I was happy about how it worked out. I feel about tired with it all...not really discouraged, just a bit tired. He loves playing, so I'm just going to let him continue to do that, and try to use his love for riding his bike to try to get him out of the house (A classic symptom of culture stress is not wanting to leave the house, and Dave really struggles with this. I have experienced it before in Vietnam and it is a hard struggle to overcome especially if bad experiences keep happening). Oh by the way, the chain on Dave's bike is now broke. We actually broke down and decided we would go to the import shop here and buy him an expensive bike. We went, and they didnt have anything for him. They were all bikes for older kids! AH! We will get his bike fixed AGAIN but we are on the lookout for a new bike. I'm tempted to order one from home and have it sent here, but I am trying to keep things in perspective!!!!!
We just have to keep trying....keep praying...keep waiting for God to show us what is the best for Dave. We love him, and we just wont give up on him! I know the Lord has something major planned for our little guy...we just have to persevere. Thanks so much for remembering him. He really needs it right now.
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment